History

history

The charity was founded in 1942 in Bournemouth by Charles de Coti-Marsh along with a group of 49 people who had gained relief from the pain of arthritis by following a self-help programme he had developed based on a combination of diet and physical therapy. The charity became a registered charity in 1985.

Our fundamental aims remain the same as in 1942 – to help our members reduce their symptoms and enjoy a more active life with increased energy. To do this, we’re continuing to build on our founder’s understanding of the importance of lifestyle for people with arthritis by developing the programme in line with the best available evidence.